Tuesday, July 30, 2013

learning and trusting, as we go...

So, I kinda took a hiatus from writing. No rhyme or reason why just got tied up with other things.  I'm trying to think of where is the best place to pick up from...

The last I wrote our dossier had landed in Ethiopia-May 21st. Quickly after that, in June, we got our number. We were 124 on the list of families waiting to bring their children home.  Initially, our agency told us that it would be about a 12-18 month wait, before we would receive our referral, however; these were wait times for families that had joined the "waiting family list" a year ago. The number of families that are now waiting, since a year ago, has doubled. Which in return means our wait time would be much longer than we initially had thought.  We are looking more at 36 months, or more. Which, in all honesty, I am okay with.
There are ethical practices and procedures that need to be followed, there are investigations that must be done to determine a baby/child "orphaned." I want all exhaustible resources done to keep any orphan with their family.  I want adoption to be the last and yet, best resort.  And, I will wait, however long, to make sure that this is done.
In the meantime, I will pray and look for ways to support poverty stricken countries and the families that live there.

We started the international adoption process in September, of last year. I have learned more than I ever anticipated about international adoption, and I'm continuing to learn.

Daily.

I feel like I had such a skewed perception of international adoption, when we first started.  For example, I look back on the t-shirts I designed, and I wish I would not of put the "5 million" statistics on there.  Because in actuality, not 5 million orphans are adoptable, nor should they be, because they have families trying to find ways to care for their children.
I was reading blogs, of others I know whom have adopted, internationally, and I came across a definition of "orphan" that I wanted to share.
According to UNICEF.org, an orphan is defined as "a child losing one or both parents." Read a piece of the article below, from UNICEF.org.

By this definition there were over 132 million orphans in sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean in 2005. This large figure represents not only children who have lost both parents, but also those who have lost a father but have a surviving mother or have lost their mother but have a surviving father. 

Of the more than 132 million children classified as orphans, only 13 million have lost both parents. Evidence clearly shows that the vast majority of orphans are living with a surviving parent grandparent, or other family member.  95 per cent of all orphans are over the age of five.
http://www.unicef.org/media/media_45279.html

I know from visiting Haiti that these moms and dads want to take care of their babies. In fact, many of them take them to orphanages, with a plan of coming back to get them. Yes, I'm not saying that in some situations, this isn't the case, but I would argue it's more the case than not.
You know...you go into it thinking I'm going to "rescue" this baby, but what I've learned, more than anything, is that I'm asking myself...what can I do to help give these families the recourses they need to stay with their children.  When we get the call, I want to be certain that adoption is the best decision for our baby.


In July, we received our updated number, and we moved 8 spots! Which is so awesome because that means that 8 sweet babies/children will soon be united with their forever families. That's a blessing! And, it's not so bad that in one month we moved 8 spots. In August, we will get our new updated number. Hoping for movement, but if there isn't any, I'm good.

We continue to pray for the sweet baby that the Lord will place in our lives. We may wait a long time before we see that sweet face, we may have some challenging days ahead, but I know there are great things that God has planned.
Jeremiah 29:11 ' "For I know the plans I have you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you, not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." '

On another note...Shaun and I have been talking about when we would start the process for our 2nd baby. We know we want to have more than one, but when and from where we didn't really know. As God would have it, He began to open doors, and He was opening them fast.

It all started with a conversation with my home-town preacher...
  which led to a phone call, the next day, with a domestic agency...
    which led to some great friends coming together to write references...
      which led to a couple dropping out of an orientation...
          which led to us attending the orientation...
              which led to more paperwork...
                  and more paperwork....
                     to more home-studies...
                        to more waiting...

for a birth-mother, to unselfishly, pick Shaun and I to be a mom and dad to her baby.


So, as we wait for our Ethiopian baby...we are also wait for the call that we are given a life, through the sacrifice of our birth-mother.


Lots of waiting, lot of excitement, lots of anticipation, lots of prayers, lots of support, and lots of love to come into the Mitchell house. Soon.

Here's to waiting for two! Cheers!

Angel :)

Which ever shoes fits first! :)


   Thanks to Bend the Light Photography for such a great pics! :)



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your hearts. I am so excited to be an auntie!!!

Unknown said...

Love your story!! Keep posting! Can't wait to neet your babies! !